Onnit Labs

Author Topic: Working harder smarter  (Read 1620 times)

Angel

Re: Working harder smarter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »
Wow its been a while. I only access this forum on my tablet, which was having some issues in the past month. Why I only use my tablet is a long story. Basically my parents have a key logger on the PC. Its more for my sister, believe it or not. My sister did the typical rebellious teenager stuff and via the software, they found out when she was sneaking out to party and stuff. Now they don't really care, and they never check it, but it would feel weird knowing my mom has the potential to read any field reports I post or see my conversations about mystery method, so I do all of my more personal stuff from this thing.

I just got done with exams, so I really don't have much work to do until the new year. I did start the book, but I couldn't continue because I bought it via my tablet. I did finish it, and take notes on it. I'll put up a link to my notes and stuff when I post about the book in the book section of the forum if any one wants to see it.

I gave my room some work. I have a kind of nautical thing going on, but in a mature and masculine way. I didn't get any plants, but I got some more stuff that goes with it. Also, I practically filled a garbage bag with old shit to make this place a bit cleaner. I had homework from freshman year in my desk. Now it is much better.

And for the meditation? I will start it off with basic meditation and with Trataka, then move on once that becomes a part of my daily routine. I have been doing some basic meditation and deep breathing, but sporadically a few times throughout the week. I need to focus on making this consistent.

Its good to be back. A lot has happen since I was last here. Sorry for my absence!

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Renaissance Man
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • Become Who You Are
    • View Profile
    • www.puarevolution.com/blog
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
Hey. I haven't been working on the site since getting caught up with college finals as well. No biggie. This site still needs work, more posts, and more members.
There is wisdom in silence.

Angel

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
Its all good man! I hope finals went well. I will be back to school on the 7th, so Ill start this up again. This will be a good comparison. Now that I am a bit more educated on how to work better, we can really see the difference. The first part of this is like my control group.

Also, I should probably put here how I did last semester. I am not to happy, but at least now I know what to do differently. I only got a 3.0. I could have gotten about a 3.6 but I screwed up one of my classes. All of the homework was due on the last day of the class, and it was via the internet. I procrastinated it and forgot I even had it, until the very end. I managed to complete about 20% at the last minute, and got a C because I got an A on most of the tests and I did good on the exam. I really took it roughly. I had tons of anxiety attacks that week and the following weeks, and fell back into being depressed. It got really bad. It was probably the worst I have ever been. I had a really long break to get my self back together, and I discussed some options with my parents and guidance counselor. I really thought I failed, and I would be kicked out of the dual enrollment program. When I found out I got a C, I was still upset, but I had some hope. If I get my AA before my graduation, I will be looked at as a transfer student to the universities and it won't be too bad. Worst comes to worst, I do another semester at community college and I transfer.  I really have to do well the rest of the year and next year, or I won't get in. Already my chances aren't the best, but I still have a chance.

Angel

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I made a commitment device to help me with this goal. I probably should paste it here for consistency. The original post (http://puarevolution.com/index.php/topic,391.0.html) explains what a commitment device is.

My Commitment Device
My commitment device is kind if simple. It is a monthly contract to keep me motivated at school and when working out. Each goal, (exercising and better grades) is worth $25, totaling to $50. If I keep my GPA above a 3.4, and continue to work out consistently, I will get to keep the $50. It absolutely has to be spent. I save almost all of my money, and I never buy myself much. This money must be spent. If I don't complete my goal, they money will be sent to one of the following organizations:
PETA
The American Communist Party
The American Fascist Party
The Westboro Baptist "Church"
gifted to a mod at puahate.com
A super-PAC of a politician I don't like
John Cook of Gawker.com

A trustworthy, honest friend will hold the money. This friend can NOT keep it for himself, he must choose one of the listed organizations to give it to, should I fail.

Read more: http://puarevolution.com/index.php/topic,391.0.html#ixzz2HVaVhIph
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:42:11 AM by Angel »

Angel

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
I said this before in my commitment devices post (link above) I am changing the terms to not included prejudice or extremest organizations, just in case it shows up on a background check. I will still to the super PAC of a politician I dislike, because corruption and attack adds infuriate me. (Enough politics, no political bickering here)  :)

I am going to start posting in here again. Pretty soon a month will be up, so it will be time to either pay the fine or reap the benefit. I am taking a heavy course load, but I am doing well. I took a few test/quizzes and of course homework. I did well. I have been eyeing down a new pair of vans, and I can't wait to get them. I did something yesterday for the first time that really helped motivate me. I was texting this girl (friend not target) and I was being distracted from studying. I told her I had to study, but I would make a deal with her. If I didn't get an A or high B on my sociology test, I would owe her $30.  ??? Idk, but this might be a good texting or conversational routine or something with a target. You could bet a cup of coffee or whatever. (I'll post about it in a section it is relevant to, to discuss the game aspects of such a thing) I probably got a 98% on it, so this helped. The contract handles the long term (well, kind of. Not very long term, but "medium" term? Idk) and this is a quick fix for a present fit of lazyness. I want to help make the contract more visible by keeping the contract money in my pocket, all the time. Also, I find this subreddit to be great with motivation. It is one of the few subs that actually is beneficial on reddit, the rest is just time-wasting stuff. http://www.reddit.com/r/GetMotivated/ the side bar has some good stuff, but some of it is just stupid.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Renaissance Man
  • Become Who You Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »
 ;D Hey throw some money this way!

You need to be clear about when you will reward yourself. Pull out your syllabus, and mark the exams and/or assignments you aim to get an A in. Then outline how much time you will contribute each day toward achieving that level of knowledge that will give you the confidence to pass the exam with flying colors. (serious business).

Share your plan here. It will help you stick with it, and laser-etch it into your mind.

Angel

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:07 AM »
Alright, here is what I have for the next few weeks. I have a science test Monday, and an accounting quiz I need to make up. I can do that whenever but I will try to get it done tonight.

Offline Rob

• Administrator
  • Renaissance Man
  • Become Who You Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »
How will you study and for how long, and when (time)? Write it out. You'll feel better and more confident about what you'll be doing.